Saturday, July 11, 2009

Summer - looking back

I love summer. I mean I really really love it. I've loved it even more since I have kids in school now. It makes me realize what a busy, crazy time the school year is. I try to keep my kids' schedule fairly open during the summer to they have time to read, ride bikes, imagine, create, explore, and so many other things that fall by the wayside during the school year. I really love the summers here in Ohio. Yes, it can get humid, but I'll take it if it means so much green surrounding us. One thing we all anticipate, almost as much as the end of school, it seems, is the return of the fireflies. I had never seen a firefly before we came to Ohio, and the first time I did, I felt like a little kid. I gasped and ran in to tell Chris, and we watched them, mesmerized. Anyway, before I post some pics from this summer, I wanted to post some of my favorites of the past summers since we got a digital camera.



2006




Nelson's ledges


Geauga Lake

Relaxing in our front yard on a Friday night

In Grandma's front yard

4th of July

Picking blueberries at Voytko Farms

2007

Creek walking in Sulphur Springs

Picnicking in the South Chagrin Reservation
Annie and Noah watching the fireworks on the 4th. They had to sit on top of our swingset in order to see them through all the trees.

Meeting friends downtown for the annual 1812 overture concert



Eating ice cream at Kokomo's, which is the best place for ice cream in the summer!

At the Hill Cumorah


Niagra Falls (great trip with Grandma and Grandpa!)
2008


All the kids reading - I love it!!

Creekwalking

Fairport Harbor on Lake Erie

After picking strawberries at Patterson's Fruit Farm

This picture just makes me giggle whenever I see it! The kids had been playing in the kiddie pool, and afterwards I saw Brigham just sitting on the swing. I guess he didn't have his swimsuit tied up very well.

These pictures are from when we were in Tennessee. Chris' dad has a cousin who lives on the west side, so we've been able to spend time with him and his family while we've been here in Ohio. They have a cabin just outside of Knoxville, on Norris Lake, and they were so nice to let us stay in it for a week. What a fun, relaxing time we had!

4 comments:

Katie said...

that was such a great post! so fun to see the highlights and see your kids grow too. too bad you were on the opposite side of tennessee from us!! love the swing pic - hee hee.

Sharene said...

I loved this post. It was so fun to see cute pictures and read about your summers. One of the pictures Annie looks like a model! We miss you guys so much! I laughed too when I saw the swing picutre! That is so funny!

Summer said...

What fun summer pics! This kids grow up so fast! I LOVE the one of Brigham on the swing-HaHaHa! I know what you mean about the fireflies - I never get tired of them! Summer is beautiful here in Ohio!

John Zakimi Kelly said...

Sarah has a picture of Kate sitting at the piano with her bare bum - it makes us laugh every time we see it!